My Shop

My Shop
My Shop

Sewing Patterns

Sewing Patterns
Sewing Patterns

Crochet Patterns

Crochet Patterns
Crochet Patterns

Dreaming in Dubrovnik

Whilst I am nibbling away on the Toblerone I got at the airport (gah, that stuff is so good. Works great against post-vacation depressions), I feel that it’s no less than my duty to take you on a little city trip to Dubrovnik.

Dubrovnik was the second stop of our Croatia trip and this city stole my heart instantly. It’s definitely one of the most beautiful and fun cities that I’ve ever visited. And if you take a peek at Mooistestedentrips.nl you can see that I’ve visited quite a few grand cities on this planet. And Dubrovnik is definately in my Top 3 from now on!

~Anyway… Dubrovnik, ah Dubrovnik~

It’s called The Pearl of the Adriatic and just look at it. You immediately get why, right?


I was most impressed with the old city (Grad) of Dubrovnik. It’s huge for one thing. You can spend days and days getting lost in all those tiny streets with steps, that lead to little squares (with lovely terraces and bars) that lead to more small streets and squares. But if you don’t feel like getting lost, just stay close to the Stradun, the main street, and you'll see plenty of pretty sights too. Like The Rector’s Palace, The Saint Blaise Church, The Cathedral and gorgeous monasteries and fountains. 

 

The old city is nicely protected by huge walls and fortresses and taking a walk on the walls is an absolute must-do for every visitor. The walk takes about 1,5 hour (!) and the views over the Adriatic Sea and the old city are mesmerizing. 

And to think that this city was almost completely destroyed during the Yugoslavian war in the early 90s. Thanks to UNESCO and other international organizations Dubrovnik was completely rebuilt by 2000, which is an amazing accomplishment I think. Some shocking documentation and pictures of this black page of Croatian history can be seen at War Photo Limited and The Rector’s Palace.


But Dubrovnik offers so much more… like beach, sea and sun! We were based in the Lapad area, an area where the Croatians live and there are some small tourist apartments and B&Bs. The pebbled beaches are close as are many great restaurants, ice cream parlors and cocktail bars. 


We rented a small apartment for almost a week. It had its own vegetable garden. Fabulous! Many salads were had. 

~And seriously, what’s more fun that to hang your laundry amongst pomegranate trees!~

Wil je meer weten over een stedentrip Dubrovnik? Bekijk dan alle informatie en tips op Mooistestedentrips.nl!

3 opmerkingen

  1. Ooooh jaaa, hier hou ik dus echt van!!! Dit is wat een vakantie onvergetelijk maakt! Ik ben gewoon jaloers!! Maarrr, nog 7 weken (help, zo lang?!) en dan mag ik ook!!!

    Fijn weekend!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh how much fun you must of had. I would so like to visit there. I will have to enjoy it through your photos and stories.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Awww, my grandmother is from Serbia, though we have family in Croatia as well. So awesome to see recent pictures of the area. Thanks for sharing!
    Your newest follower,
    Rikka J.
    Ricochet and Away!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! Don't be shy, just leave a comment. I love reading them!